Background

Tuesday, 10 July 2012

sticky.. but breezy.

So far.. this picture explains how our summer has been(for me at least). I must say.... New York... you've surprised me. The last week of June, AJ left for the [big apple] and I stayed behind. But not to worry, because a mere 9 days later I found myself on a flight to NYC with my sweet nanny family, who coincidentally vacations in Montauk in the summer (blessing from above).

It has truly been such a blessing to be here and I'll always be so grateful! After a 6 hour plane ride (pictured here..)

I found myself walking into the gross NY heat to find my sweet husband and give him a long awaited X & O. It's not that it's particularly hot here... in Utah 90 in the summer is totally normal. But when you add to that 90, crazy humidity and 6 million people.. it's like: you go outside and you're like "omg.. why are my armpits wet? I never sweat. Why do I have swack and swoob? Why am I sticking to strangers on the subway?" Answer: the humidity. Uh, sick.

I got there on July 3rd and because AJ wasn't done with work yet (it was 4pm), I just jumped right into action on my own. I went and got a mani, grabbed a bagel, and headed to the public library to read my totally awesome book {The Paris Wife} (totally awesome. If you haven't read it, and want a good read, call me. I need to talk to you about this). I didn't do much reading as I just sat there on the granite steps of this huge library just people watching... I can't even get into people watching.

Times Square. First night in NYC... um... too much like Vegas for me..

The next day though.. was the 4th of July! I LOVE the 4th of July. I don't know why, but growing up, I remember that day being [sooooooo] magical. So I always look forward to the 4th and was totally pumped to experience it here in NYC.
We started off the day by walking around the city a little bit and going to a BBQ with some friends.


So let me do a little plug for Jamba Juice. They've started doing this thing where if you do a customer review survey online you get a free 16 oz. Yeah well, I love JJ and of course I took this survey seriously. Last week alone I collected 3 free Jambas:) It was so freaking hot there that I literally planned my walking routes in such a way that I passed a Jamba at least twice a day, providing me an opportunity to partake. The 4th was no exception. Here you see how much we love our JJ:D


We went to the Macy's 4th of July firework show right on the Hudson River. It was epic. Had we been closer... well it might have just blown my mind. There were millions of people (the couple right in front of us were fellow Mormons, shout out!) but that just added to the excitement.
AJ was so taken by the fireworks he couldn't even break away for a picture.. lol


Ka-CHOW!

The rest of the week was such a fabulous vacation for me. This is how it goes:
- 8:30am: AJ leaves for work, XO AJ.
- 11am: Amanda get's out of bed after eating breakfast in bed and watching the Today show.
-11:30am-1pm: Amanda goes up to the roof top of AJ's apartment building and soaks up the sun while reading her lovely book and taking in this view.. killer
- 2pm: Amanda goes into the city, has adventures and ends in Central Park reading her book and pretending like she is a local.
- Rest of the day: "wining and dining" with the husband at "who knows where".


On Friday night though, AJ and I were blessed with the opportunity to go to the Manhattan temple. Well you get off the 1 Subway line, walk up the stairs and BAM!!
There it is! Right in the middle of Lincoln Square, all dressed in beauty. Let me tell you this: this building probably has the cleanest floors, bathrooms and doorknobs in the ENTIRE city of Manhattan. Trust me. I never lie (AJ stop snickering). 5 floors of Celestial awesomeness.
After that AJ and I stopped at our favorite fast, easy dining restaurant: [Whole Foods]. Thank you WF for providing us with such delicious, cheap sushi! We love it. As you can see here, AJ never misses an opportunity to teach me about "options". Clearly, a graph was needed for this conversation and a lack of paper didn't stop him... hence the chopsticks:)


So my loves! That is all about my first week. I am now "nannying" (if you can even call it that) in Montauk. I'll converse about this later in the week!

P.s. Can I just say that AJ is working SOOOOOO hard this summer. His internship has been hard for and on him and he would probably love any shout outs from anyone. He will make it to August 31, but I don't think much longer! Haha I'm so proud of him and just want everyone to know that he is just the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment