Background

Tuesday, 28 June 2011

dub-a-lub-lin, ireland.

So last week AJ and I had the opportunity to go to Dublin, Ireland.. it was amazing! Amsterdam? Suck it. Anyone who is thinking about going there.. go there! Not for the city itself, but for the amazing sights and people! Maybe it's the accents or the red hair (haha I think I only saw like 5 red heads), but they are seriously the nicest people! The hosts of the B&B were named Aine (said like Anya) and Shane and they were just gems! We found that all the people were like that and were just delightful!

The first day we got there we visited Dublin the city. It's way cleaner than Amsterdam, but there isn't THAT much to do. We saw everything in like 5 hours? The National Museum and the parks, Viking ships, etc. That day it rained for 7 straight hours and we were totally soaked to the bone! So it wasn't the most delightful day, but still a fun day! On that day, AJ decided to get himself a little Irish souvenir... take a look...


The funny thing about AJ is once he finds something he loves, he cherishes it like it's worth millions! So he wore this cap ("for significant men" said the sales lady) everyday and took such care of it. At night he would clear away a spot for it on the chair, fluff it up, then lay it down carefully. Haha what a kid! Everyone make sure you really compliment him on this hat, it will make his day!

The next day, we decided to journey outside of the city. We took a train down the coast and it was such an amazing sight!! There is nothing more to say.. it was just amazing!!


 
After miles of the coast, we turned inland to go through the Wicklow mountains. The countryside is so SOO green and lush it's just something you've never seen before. We came upon these monastic ruins from the 6th century and it's unlike anything I've ever seen! The tomb stones are crumbling and the buildings are barely even there..


There was this tower that was, who knows how tall, and the door was like 20 off the ground! The monks would hide all their manuscripts there and in order to get in the tower you needed to use a ladder. It's just so weird to know that you're living in a world of ipads and 3D, but you're looking at graves and churches from the 6th century!

It was such a fun trip and we so enjoyed ever moment of it (minus the rain)! Anyone who wants a fun, unique place to visit, this is the place!

1 comment:

  1. I have always wanted to go to Ireland. I am secretly hoping Austin gets his mission call there so we can plan on picking him up. The pictures are beautiful...I want to see more!! I hate to encourage any kind of an ego in AJ but seriously, he looks great in that hat!

    ReplyDelete